Marjorie’s gift that keeps on giving Marjorie Denton Heath (nee Lawley) was born in Devon in December 1910 and moved to the Midlands not long after; making it her home for the next 9 decades. One of her greatest pleasures was to continue the charitable work begun by her father Edgar E Lawley CBE, who was a great benefactor of and actively involved in the work of St Mary’s Hospital & Medical School, Paddington, as well as The Kings Fund. Edgar E Lawley set up his own charitable foundation titled the Edgar E Lawley Foundation in 1961 which funds medical, education, arts, commercial and industry projects. He remained chairman & trustee until his death in 1977, when Marjorie succeeded him, and continued the amazing work of the foundation up until 2004. The Foundation made repeated donations to BCH over the years and BCH was clearly one of her favourite local causes, as she kindly remembered the hospital in her will. Marjorie was an outgoing person who was genuinely interested in other people and she spent much of her time helping others in many varied & practical ways. She enjoyed many other interests, including being an avid golf player and member of Little Aston Golf Club, taking on the role of Ladies Captain twice. Marjorie married her husband Ian in June 1932 and enjoyed 51 years together at the family home, Courtnay, until Ian’s death in 1983. Marjorie herself passed away on 8th December 2005 aged 95. The gift Marjorie left in her will, coupled with a large donation from the Edgar E Lawley Foundation helped to fund a brand new Burns and Neo-Natal Centre at Birmingham Children’s Hospital, which opened in 2007. 8 years on this new centre is now an invaluable part of the hospital treating more than 900 patients a year.